I was in the mood for a challenge, and was looking for inspiration on some of my favorite dessert blogs.
I came across these recipes for dutch braided bread, and fell in love!
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s Braided Lemon Bread, I decided to use up my leftover homemade nutella and the strawberries I had bought.
This bread tastes like a cinnamon bun on the outside, chocolate strawberry goodness on the inside.
I love this bread warm, but it still tastes amazing room temperature.
Shake the fillings up for all sorts of different flavour combinations.
I can’t wait to try this again!
Braided Dutch Strawberry Nutella Bread
© 6 tbsp. warm water
© 1 tsp. brown sugar
© 1 ½ tsp. instant yeast
© ¼ cup whole meal flour
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Leave to rise for at least 15 minutes or until foamy.
© 6 tbsp. full fat yogurt
© ¼ cup organic butter
© 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
© 1 beaten egg
© ¼ cup brown sugar
© 1 tsp. salt
© 1 tsp. vanilla paste
© 1 tbsp. cinnamon powder
© 2 tsp. nutmeg powder
© 2 ½ cups whole meal plain flour
- Using a whisk attachment, blend all ingredients except for the flour until well combined.
- Switch to a dough hook, and blend flour for 6 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, and leave, covered, to rise for 2 hours in a warm location.
© 100g homemade nutella (or store-bought)
© 50g sliced strawberries
© 50g shaved organic milk chocolate
© 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
- Gently knock back the bread dough on a floured surface, return to a bowl.
- Lightly dust work surface and rolling pin with flour.
- Roll the dough into a 10inch by 15inch rectangle, taking care not to let the dough stick to any surfaces.
- Mark the dough into 3 even rectangles, do not slice, but score clearly to indicate segments.
- Next, mark a 1 inch rectangle on either end of the dough, these will be the ends of the dough, and won’t be braided.
- Spread the nutella and coconut onto the middle rectangle until even coverage is achieved.
- Place a single layer of the strawberries over the nutella layer. Then top with the shaved chocolate.
- To begin braiding, slice the two rectangle pieces on either side of the center into 20 strips, but do NOT slice them off the connecting center rectangle, these need to be braided across the filling.
- Begin the braid by starting on one end of the dough log by taking one dough strip, and gently bringing it diagonally across the filling. Repeat on the opposite side, and continue alternating until the entire bread is completely braided.
- Transfer the braided bread onto a piece of baking paper, then onto a baking tray.
- Preheat an oven to 180C.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg; this will give a golden layer on top of the braid.
- Leave the braid to rise for 30 minutes.
- Then, place into the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place onto a rack, and leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm, or cold.