100 calories for a muffin.
Not just any muffin.
A naturally sweet, nutty, berry filled muffin!
I was craving muffins, but unfortunately these little breakfast ‘cakes’ have a reputation for being packed full of unhealthy sugars and preservatives – yum… I was determined to find a healthier muffin recipe that could fit into my low caloric intake for the day, and experimented with this combination.
“Muffins are American for I eat cake for breakfast.” – Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe
I have to say, these are yummy 🙂
Banana, Blueberry, Pecan Skinny Muffins
© 100g oats (rolled or instant)
© ¾ cup whole wheat plain flour
© 1 TBSP. baking soda
© Pinch salt
© Pinch cinnamon
© 2 mashed bananas (medium sized, preferably very ripe)
© ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
© 2 egg whites
© 1 tsp. vanilla
© ¼ cup frozen blueberries
© 2 TSBP. chopped pecans
- Line a cupcake or muffin pan with 12 muffin liners.
- Preheat oven to 180C (170C fan-force).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- In another bowl, combine mashed banana, egg white, and applesauce.
- Fold the dry ingredients through the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in blueberries and pecans until just combined.
- Evenly fill the 12 muffin cases with the batter.
- Bake for approximately 17-20 minutes. To test when ready, use a skewer or simaler utensil and pierce the muffin, if there is residue on the skewer, continue baking until the skewer is clean when tested.
- As soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, quickly place them on a drying platform to prevent drying out in the hot muffin pan. Leave to cool completely.
- Store, or enjoy hot!