I was definitely craving cheesy pizza after my run – the kind that oozes all over the place, and when you bite into it pulls long strings *drools*
But I wasn’t going to let all my hard work go to waste!
Abs for 2013 summer baby!
So in order not to go insane dreaming about cheese, I rode over to the supermarket to buy ingredients for a healthy pizza.
This pizza is low calorie, delicious, and good for you!
Bet you didn’t expect that in a pizza recipe 😉
I didn’t want to use store tomato sauce, as I have recently discovered the amount of bad sugars and lack of nutritional benefit from eating it, however I didn’t have a tomato sauce alternative, so I decided to use a low calorie hummus. If you want, feel free to use a tomato sauce, or maybe even avyar.
256 calories only guys!
FOR A WHOLE PIZZA!
Lean Green Pizza
© 1 whole-wheat pita bread base (140 calories approx.)
© 2 tsp. low fat hummus
© 1 crushed garlic
© 1 diced chili
© 1/3 cup shredded spinach
© 1/8 diced red onion
© 25g low fat cheese (add more for a cheesier pizza)
© 1 sliced tomato
© 15g chopped broccoli
© 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190C. Arrange a baking tray of choice with baking paper.
- Place one pita bread onto the baking tray.
- Spread low fat hummus, garlic, chili and cayenne pepper onto the base.
- Sprinkle half of the spinach, and then layer the tomato, onion and broccoli.
- Layer with the rest of the spinach. Evenly space cheese (shred for a more even coverage).
- Place pizza into the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until you can’t resist the temptation any longer.
- Slice with a pizza cutter or sharp knife; serve on a wooden board or on a plate.
- Optional: Drizzle very lightly with garlic infused olive oil, or a little melted coconut oil.