It has been absolutely forever since my last post –
I have been working on a molecular gastronomy cookbook designed for home chefs! So no fancy equipment or pricey ingredients.
These marshmallows are made in memory of those summer days.
The addition of ‘sour dust’ – using citric acid – gives these marshmallows that tangy flavour (the same as the sour coating on a gummy worm!) Citric acid can be purchased at most grocery stores and is quite cheap.
Raspberry Lemonade Marshmallow with Sour Dust
- 1/2 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tbsp. powdered gelatin
- 120ml lemonade (natural source)
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- Lemon zest (1/2 a lemon)
- Pinch salt
- Grease a square cake pan/tray with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
- Cut baking paper to line the bottom and sides of the pan. Place into the pan.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend the raspberries until smooth. Strain to remove seeds and measure 1/3 cup. Pour the 1/3 cup raspberry puree into a separate bowl and stir in gelatin.
- Combine lemonade, caster sugar, lemon zest and salt in a saucepan.
- Place saucepan on high heat, bringing the solution to a boil. During this process, brush any sugar crystals that may form on the side of the pan.
- Continue to let boil until the mixture reaches 115.5⁰C. – test using a candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan immediately from the heat and pour contents into a standalone mixer or into a wide rim mixing bowl.
- Using electric beaters or a mixer, pour the gelatin and raspberry mixture into the hot syrup, then blend on high for 10 minutes or until the marshmallow has thickened considerably.
- Pour the marshmallow into the lined baking tray and set aside for at least 4 hours to set.
- 1 tsp. citric acid
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 2 cup confectionary sugar (icing sugar)
- Measure and place all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or whisk, blend till uniform.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Carefully lift the marshmallow out of tray/pan used.
- Grease a knife with a light coating of vegetable oil, then slice marshmallow into 5cm by 5cm cubes.
- Take each cube and roll in the sour dust, or alternatively sieve the sour dust over the marshmallows.
- Serve with a shot of lemonade. (optional)