Do you ever have those salads that are like a rabbit’s food was mixed up for your lunch?
Well I just can’t define salad as lettuce, a lonely tomato and some dried out cucumber. Yuk.
This is a real salad, with creamy feta chunks, tangy apple and smokey grilled sweet potato.
I made this salad in under 10 minutes, so there is no excuse for avoiding healthier meal options because you don’t have the time.
The combination is a little like a Waldorf salad with attitude 🙂
I do prefer to buy organic wherever possible, however if you can’t, try to wash all your vegetables to remove any pesticides. For extra nutrients, don’t peel the skin, as it contains amazing vitamins and nutrients.
Enjoy this as a side, or as a light main.
If you don’t have a julienne peeler, substitute for a normal peeler. I used a grill pan for my sweet potato pieces, feel free to bake them if you don’t have a grill pan on hand.
Serves: 3-4 (Appetizer) Or 1-2 (Main)
Grilled Sweet Potato, Feta & Apple Salad
© 150g organic spinach
© 25g pine nuts
© 50g feta cheese
© 1 large organic sweet potato
© 1 organic cucumber
© 1 organic tomato
© 1 tsp. lime juice
© 1 tsp. salt
© 1 small apple
© 1 tsp. fresh dill
© 2 julienned carrots
- Heat a grill pan (or oven to 200C on grill setting).
- Wash the sweet potato thoroughly to remove any dirt. Slice into thick coins, relatively similar in size to ensure even cooking.
- Grill until charred well on both sides, or until cooked to preference. Place onto a small plate or paper towel to cool.
- Arrange bowl of choice, throw in lime juice, salt, dill, and pine nuts.
- Roughly slice the spinach into strips. Add into the bowl.
- Dice the cucumber and tomato, set aside (do not add to the bowl until ready to serve, these two vegetables are the highest in water content and can cause the salad to become soggier than desired).
- Slice the apple into coins, halving and adding to the bowl.
- Julienne two carrots (I use a peeler), then add in with the cucumber and tomato.
- Roughly slice the sweet potato into chunks, toss into the salad, mixing all the ingredients well.
- Crumble feta over the dish, garnish with a little olive oil or lime juice, as well as a sprinkling of pinenuts.